Credit Card Payment with Paypal Pro problem

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM

We launched our first Commerce powered store last week (on http://www.joecalzaghe.com if anyone is interested). It's only a small implementation for now but it will be expanded upon over the next few months.

Anyway - I hit an issue when I migrated the code to live. We're using Paypal Payments Pro to accept both Paypal payments and direct credit card payments via the API.

In the sandbox everything worked perfectly, however when I moved the system to use the live Paypal API the direct payment option behaved strangely. When I submit a payment using a valid credit card, the transaction goes through fine, the user gets a receipt and the order is logged in our CMS. However, the payment never reaches our client Paypal account and it doesn't leave our credit card account. It's as if the Paypal system is authing only, yet Commerce4Umbraco thinks the payment has been taken. (The isLive flag is set...)

Using Express Checkout works perfectly in the live environment; it's only the direct payment which doesn't result in any money transferring.

I've been through the source and I can't see anything wrong anywhere, has anyone experienced similar or has anyone successfully used DirectPayments previously?

Thanks

Andy

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Andy -

We've used PayPal Pro Direct Payment on several sites and haven't noticed this behavior.  I suspect, but don't know for certain, that the issue is with the account settings.  Verify that the account is set to do a 'Auth and Capture' for transactions and that it is not set to wait for an IPN acknowledgment from you before 'capture.'  

Many folks who use this project's PayPal payment provider also create an IPN listener for PayPal notices.  You can find a code complete solution for an IPN listener on the PayPal dev portal.

-Paul

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Hi Paul

That certainly sounds like the case but I can't see anywhere where I can tell Paypal to do auth and capture rather than waiting for IPN notifications. Are you saying that there is a setting in Paypal for this or a setting in C4U?

Thanks

Andy

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM

These settings should all be from the PayPal account side.

-Paul

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM

OK thanks - I'll investigate with Paypal.

In their knowledgebase they suggest that this behaviour can also occur if you don't pass the CVV number for the card, so I'm double checking that is going through as well.

Thanks

Andy

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Thanks for your help with this one (And in general throughout the project). It's working now.

The problem turned out to be that DirectPayments were still going to the Sandbox, whereas express checkouts were going to live. I hadn't switched the config over in paymentservice.config, only in paypal.config. Paypal confirmed that no DirectPayment transactions had been processed on our account, so given that C4U was still receiving ack=success the Sandbox was the only likely cause.

Cheers

Andy