Product type extensions

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Hello all,

I'm completely new to this awesome project. There's a few things about products that I'd like somebody to clarify please, since the documentation is a little short.

Firstly, is there a way to change the "Short Description" editor to a control that accepts HTML? It's really annoying to have to type the HTML tags in the description of the product without a proper preview. And it's all done in one short line to boot. Plus, this description is meant to be filled by an HTML-illiterate person, not me. I suspect that one could do this by modifying the editProduct.ascx file in the CommerceForUmbraco.userControls project, but a) I'm not too sure about this; and b) I'm a very bad ASP(.net)? v[1-3] programmer (sorry about the regex).

Secondly, and more importantly, I'd like to use this software to create an online shop for a small company that sells books and other retail items. Books are characterised by their ISBN, while the other items (like t-shirts etc) have a Part Number. To this end, I have created the appropriate categories. Is there a way, however, to distinguish the presentation of a product depending on its category? In this way, the user may see a product box which says "ISBN: xxxx" if s/he visits a book, or another product box that says "Part Number: xxxx" if s/he visits a t-shirt or a DVD for instance.

I hope you will excuse me if these questions sound naive, but I'm completely new to this software. Thumbs up for the effort though. It's absolutely awesome!

Cheers,

George

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2009 at 1:18 PM

George

In both cases above the solution is simple but you'll need to write a bit of C# ASP.NET code to get it going.

You're correct that you'd need to modify the editProduct.ascx file to get a Rich Text Editor - this is Umbraco specific code so some amount of forethought is in order.

You can easily modify the product display controls to apply a different output depending on product category - this has been intentionally left simple.

Bets,

-Paul

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Thanks, Paul, for the quick reply. I'll get my hands dirty implementing the above changes, esp. the rich text editor.

Can I upload patched code in case somebody is interested in these "features"?

Regards,

George.