SSL

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:23 PM
Edited Jun 6, 2008 at 7:26 PM
Forgive me for being a novice, but I've been considering the use of Umbraco along with this package to create a fairly extensive ecommerce site for a client. One of my concerns is that I saw somewhere that Umbraco doesn't support SSL. Looking at the code checkins and such, I saw that they are adding SSL support for the backend in 3.1, but I couldn't find anywhere if it would be supported in typical webfronts. From some posts in the forum, I saw that it looked like SSL can be used, but it seemed tricky.

All of this is to ask if I can setup SSL with this ecommerce feature. I want to setup the user logins to run through SSL and all of the checkout stuff to be behind SSL, but I don't want the rest of the site to be protected. I don't need step by step details or anything, just some loose guidelines. I just want to save myself from a lot of headaches if it can't (or shouldn't) be done.

I appreciate your time.
Coordinator
Jun 8, 2008 at 10:58 PM
The threads you've seen relating to the fact that Umbraco didn't suuport have to do with the Umbraco backend and not any websites which run on Umbraco - including Commerce for Umbraco.  There shouldn't be any issues using either Commerce for Umbraco or Umbraco with SSL.  We run many sites with the Checkout and Account sections under SSL and have not experienced any difficulty not already present in IIS.

Hope this helps,
-Paul

Frozley wrote:
Forgive me for being a novice, but I've been considering the use of Umbraco along with this package to create a fairly extensive ecommerce site for a client. One of my concerns is that I saw somewhere that Umbraco doesn't support SSL. Looking at the code checkins and such, I saw that they are adding SSL support for the backend in 3.1, but I couldn't find anywhere if it would be supported in typical webfronts. From some posts in the forum, I saw that it looked like SSL can be used, but it seemed tricky.

All of this is to ask if I can setup SSL with this ecommerce feature. I want to setup the user logins to run through SSL and all of the checkout stuff to be behind SSL, but I don't want the rest of the site to be protected. I don't need step by step details or anything, just some loose guidelines. I just want to save myself from a lot of headaches if it can't (or shouldn't) be done.

I appreciate your time.