Can we use the search functionality in Umbraco for product search

May 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM
Hi Paul,

thanks a lot for your great work. I have some questions, as I am currently in need for a shop solution for umbraco. 

Following situation is bugging me. I recently installed umbraco cms for a customer. I have a working installation of umbraco and made a new document type to display products and product informations. As I saw DashCommerce has its own table for products.

Would it be best to export and manage this products in the dashcommerce database? Could there be another way? I want to be able to use the umbraco search to make a product search and list the results? With dashCommerce there is now no such functionality. Can you give me advice as where should I hook in to use the umbraco built in search? Can a action handler be written, which hooks in when making a search and pass the query to a stored procedure. Afterwards the results should be passed back to umbracos search results...

wish you a nice day
greets mario
Coordinator
May 27, 2008 at 7:34 PM
Mario -

As it stands now there is not a simple solution for the feature you describe.  Certainly employing a 3rd-party search engine that is capable of indexing text-data stored in an RDBMS is a possibility.  All of the product information (including Url's) is stored and ntext.

This is a feature on the roadmap for version 2.0, which is at least one-year away.

Regards,
-Paul
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:06 PM
Mario -

Good news!  Beta 2 includes and integrated product search along with Umbraco content.

Coming really soon!

-Paul