Is anyone interested in open source commerce for Umbraco?

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:52 PM
Edited Mar 29, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Hi,

Is anything currently happening with this project? I think that an open source commerce solution would be a fantastic offering for Umbraco, and would only add weight to the already excellent product that is Umbraco.

We've been using Umbraco as our preferred CMS for almost a year now, having shelved our proprietary system in favour of a product with an excellent track record, flexible implementation (we have pushed it to its limits and it's coped, very well!) and great performance. There's just one thing missing, compared to our "old" CMS... a free, open source, plug-and-play commerce "package". Having written most of our original system (with more than a little help from my friends) I understand the challenges involved, but surely it's nothing that a bunch of like-minded enthusiastic and experienced developers can't overcome?

I've been keeping an eye on the commercial offerings for "eCommerce for Umbraco" of late (uCommerce, uWebShop (aka SSWS) and TeaCommerce) and without meaning to cause any offence to these developer teams, does nobody have the appetite for an open source implementation? After all, that's what makes Umbraco such an amazing product.

If there is a desire for this amongst the superb Umbraco community, maybe we should get our virtual heads together and see what we can do to get this up and running again?

Cheers,

Tom

Developer
Mar 29, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Hi Tom,

Yes I am interested to get it running. I am currently using the v2-branch in a sharp project (with latest Umbraco) and hope to get some time to contribute back som code.

/Jesper

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Great stuff Jesper. I haven't looked through the code here thoroughly as yet, as I thought it might have faded away, but if you have made significant changes I would love to see them. I will get stuck in to the latest revision and see what it's all about. A free commerce solution for Umbraco would be amazing and I would be happy to help with the development of the package

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:09 AM

Out of curiosity I'd like to ask whether the appeal of an open source e-commerce extension for Umbraco lies in the "free" aspect, in the "open source" aspect, or somewhere else entirely.

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Tom,

FYI, I have a Commerce 4 Umbraco "Starter Kit" site posted here:

http://www.proworks.com/blog/2011/06/12/commerce-for-umbraco-sample-site-and-starter-kit/

I think that may help you get up and running on a version that is more stable.  If you would like to help out, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the project and if its worth moving forward on.